The Anne Elizabeth Shepherd Home (AESH) provides residential care for females, ages 10-17, who have experienced sexual trauma leading to characteristics of emotional or behavioral disturbances. This program teaches the residents appropriate behaviors as they live and heal in a safe, staff-secured environment.
A strength-based, community-based, family focused philosophy permeates all aspects of the AESH program. Residents’ strengths are recognized and utilized in developing service plans, and they are encouraged to display their strengths to others. Community involvement allows the girls to practice social skills and give back to the communities that support them. Family visitation and family contact is encouraged as often as possible.
About Our Campus
The three cottages that comprise AESH are located on 15 acres in suburban North Columbus off Double Churches Road. The property has several amenities including a lake and an outdoor ropes challenge course. Recreational opportunities include a basketball court, pavilion, garden, ropes course, playground, tennis, kickball, volleyball, canoeing, fishing, gardening, and teambuilding.
What We Do
- 24-hour, staff-secure campus
- On-site school
- Life skills training
- Family focused
- Positive peer culture
- Community restitution and reintegration
- Core mental health services
- Community support individual services
- Individual, group, and family therapy
- Psychiatric services
- Medical/nursing treatment
The inception of AESH was fueled by the foresight of The Ladies Educational and Benevolent Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Columbus. The mission of this dedicated group of women who came together in 1845 was to educate and provide sanctuary for the orphaned and needy children rapidly growing in the town along the banks of the Chattahoochee River. In 1924, Colonel W.S. Shepherd bequeathed to the Ladies Society the original property for the home in memory of his mother, Anne Elizabeth Shepherd. The three-story Victorian Anne Elizabeth Shepherd Home became a haven for children in need for the next 40 years.
In 1963, the Board of Directors for AESH responded to the need for a larger home and purchased 15 acres at 751 Double Churches Road, Columbus, Georgia — the home’s present location. In 1965, the new AESH campus opened offering two cottage-style units situated on a beautiful wooded hillside. The youth enjoyed swimming and fishing in the small lake on the campus while living in a secure, loving, and protected environment.
In 1973, the AESH Board voted to change the purpose of the home from custodial care to residential treatment. The former orphanage evolved into a treatment-oriented group home facility for adolescent girls who were unable to reside with their parents. The Anne Elizabeth Shepherd Home in Columbus merged with the West Georgia Youth Council in LaGrange on May 18, 1993. The name was officially changed to Twin Cedars Youth Services, Inc. on October 19, 1993.
The Anne Elizabeth Shepherd Home as a program of Twin Cedars is a member of the Council on Accreditation (COA). We are a member of the Multi-Agency Alliance for Children (MAAC).
Referrals & Donations
Referrals are accepted through the Department of Family and Children Services, Department of Juvenile Justice, and the Multi Agency Alliance for Children (MAAC). You may also contact Lynn Gaddy, Intake Coordinator at 706-322-8984 ext. 1303 or email at email@example.com.
Established in 1994, the Anne Elizabeth Shepherd Home Auxiliary plays a vital role in supporting residents. Many times, the girls have no family to turn to for encouragement. Auxiliary members serve as pen pals, birthday pals, and coordinate special event throughout the year to help further sustain the nurturing environment created by the AESH staff. If you are interested in becoming a member of the AESH Auxiliary please contact us at (706) 322-8984.
Anne Elizabeth Shepherd Home
751 Double Churches Road
Columbus, Georgia 31904
Ramon Allen, firstname.lastname@example.org